HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) technicians are currently in high demand and the need for exceptional techs is only expected to rise in the coming years. If you’re considering a career in HVAC, now is the perfect time to get started!
As an HVAC technician, you are trained to install, repair, and replace HVAC systems. When you have completed training, you can take up a variety of roles such as working on a construction site, being part of a general contractor’s team, or working as an independent repair person.
How to Be A Successful HVAC Technician
Whether you’re just starting to consider HVAC for your career or you’re already an apprenticeship student, in order to be a successful HVAC technician, following are a few things that you need to know and take into consideration:
- You should be thoroughly educated in the specifics of HVAC systems in order to complete repairs. This includes mechanical skills, a detail-oriented personality, and the physical fitness required to lift, handle and repair large equipment.
- A key understanding of technical data such as: specifics, schematics, ladder logic and common blueprints in vital. HVAC-related codes and licensing information is also a must.
- Reliability and flexibility come into play. Many technicians are called to jobs at odd hours (including weekends). Showing up when needed, and on time, is imperative.
- A pleasant personality is very important. You must be able to work well under stressful situations. These can include adverse weather conditions (extreme heat, or extreme cold temperatures), or working in tight, dark crawl spaces in attics or beneath homes.
- Technical knowledge is also needed. Successful HVAC technicians are able to explain the intricacies of an HVAC system to a customer that may not be familiar with the specifics.
- HVAC technicians may also need to sell service contracts to their customers, in which case you will need strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate clearly and directly.
- Having excellent math skills are impressive to prospective employers and important to your future as an HVAC technician. You must be able to successfully calculate and read gauges, and be a meticulous record keeper.
- You must always be aware of safety standards. When taking on a job, a successful HVAC technician is aware of the various safety hazards that are associated with the job, and knows the best practices to prevent any accidents from happening.
Remember that being self-motivated and passionate is key. Get out there and talk to people, and gain as much hands-on experience as you can. Although part of becoming a successful HVAC technician is studying and learning in a classroom, gaining the skills needed through hands-on experience will help make sure that you get the job done to the best of your ability.
National HVAC Tech Day
Celebrate all of the HVAC technicians in your life on June 22nd for National HVAC Tech Day!
This day was created by ARS/Rescue Rooter (a national provider of home services) to show appreciation for all HVAC technicians in the industry. Be sure to take a moment to appreciate everything your career has to offer and all that you contribute, as well as recognize the efforts of other HVAC techs you know who work tirelessly every day.
Learn More From Our Team
Interested in learning more about HVAC opportunities or services? Contact Link ClimateCare for all of your heating and cooling needs.