New Year’s Resolutions for Your HVAC System
Do any of your 2018 resolutions involve saving money?
Most families think about shopping at a different grocery store canceling a membership, cutting the cable, driving less.
You can make a resolution to get more and spend less at the same time.
Take a look at some of the resolutions below and see if any line up with the needs of your family this year.
Install a smart thermostat
- Do you have a programmable thermostat?
- Do you actually program it properly on a consistent basis?
According to a study conducted by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (US), 89% of homeowners do not program their thermostats, most of them find it too slow and confusing.
An intuitive smart thermostat takes far less time and frustration to program, and learns from your habits as your family uses it.
The interface runs through your smartphone (or the wall unit, but most people choose the app), so it’s just like any other app you use.
With a set of sensors spread through your home, it delivers more accurate heating and cooling when you need it.
Additionally, smart thermostats help you save money (important with the deep freeze Lindsay and the Kawartha Lakes went through already this winter) by providing regular reports on your furnace usage.
And an added bonus:
- Ecobee Smart Thermostats qualify for a GreenON rebate of $100, making them super affordable (half price in some cases).
Replace your run down air conditioner
It’s hard to think about summer right now, but all forecasts point toward a hot, long summer. Your air conditioner is in for a workout.
You don’t want the old clunker breaking down when your family needs it most. If you notice any of these signs, replace it before a breakdown puts your family in a sticky situation:
- Temperature isn’t consistent.
- Coolant or other fluid leaks.
- Ice on the outside of the AC.
- Burning smells during operation.
- Inconsistent and high energy bills.
Your air conditioner shouldn’t keep your family kinda cool.
Call to talk about new air conditioner options and see how budget friendly a more efficient unit can be.
You can do it! Change your furnace filters monthly.
Between work, school, family commitments and other day-to-day activities, remembering to change your furnace filters can get lost in the shuffle.
But it shouldn’t.
- Dirty or clogged furnace filters cause your furnace to waste energy moving air.
- Excess dust circulates through your air filtration system and ends up everywhere.
- You spend more time cleaning your house than relaxing in it.
Annual maintenance has the added bonus of extending the life of your new furnace. When your neighbour’s furnace breaks down after 10-15 years, yours will still be going strong.
Get all the potential savings from a single HVAC contractor in Lindsay
If you want to save money, start playing the long game. Some of these options can help you save right now and some accumulate into massive dollar amounts over the next 10+ years.